“We treat our patients how we would expect to be treated ourselves."
Dr Mike Tonkes, Principal Dentist.
As one of the gentlest dentists in Wellington, our goal is to provide a high standard of care in a relaxed and friendly environment with a gentle touch! Our patients are our top priority and we do all we can to make each visit a positive experience. We’ve been The Gentle Dental Centre since 1992, formed from an original practice that dates back to the 1930s. We have two central Wellington locations, one on Dixon Street and one on Lambton Quay.
Our dental branches have eight highly trained New Zealand dentists and four university trained hygienists. Together they look after you and your teeth with some of the latest technology available.
The Gentle Dental Centre aims to bring 21st century dentistry to Wellington and that includes having intra-oral cameras that detect decay, Cad-Cam one visit crowns.
Together, our technology, expertise and gentle approach enable us to produce top quality results in all aspects of dentistry. Take a look at the dental services we offer. Meet the friendly team of Gentle Dentists.
To achieve predictable, long-lasting results and to make the whole dental experience at the GDC a lot more comfortable for our patients, we utilise some of the most advanced state of the art technology available in dentistry. These include:
- Digital xrays/OPG- meaning less radiation and instant results.
- Cerec- one visit crown
- Soft Tissue Lasers
- Cone beam 3D Imaging (coming soon)
- Rotary endodontics – High-quality nickel titanium rotary files and apex locator for root canal treatment.
- Caries detecting cameras.
- Intra-oral cameras – see what is going on inside your mouth on the chair mounted monitor.
- IV sedation- Nervous? - be instantly put at ease with intravenous sedation to make you feel fully relaxed while having treatment done.
- Watch movies or listen to music of your choice while in the dental chair.
At the Gentle Dental Centre, we take cross Infection control very seriously. To ensure the safety of both our patients and staff, the team at GDC strictly adhere to and exceed the standards set by the New Zealand Dental Association and the New Zealand Dental Council.
Every instrument in the practice is sterilised in one of our two autoclaves, both of which undergo a range of daily tests such as "Helix testing, B&D testing, class B steam and pressure tests" to ensure fully functioning and faultless autoclaves and sterilisation equipment.
All test results are then recorded.
We adopt universally safe techniques and specialist products to prepare our surgeries before and after all of our patients. We use disposable wipes, before, during and after each patient ensuring each surface is clean.
Thorough training is given to all team members at GDC, all aspects of decontamination and infection control are covered in a refresher course on a yearly basis to keep our team up to speed on all the latest technology and techniques and current protocols are discussed during our regular in practice meetings.
- New Patient Exam (special) - $45 (includes two bitewing x-rays)
- Recall Exam -$45
- Consult (for specific problem/broken tooth assessment)- $48
- Wisdom tooth consult - $55 (may need OPG)
- Periapical X-ray - $38 (additional x-rays $10.00 each)
- OPG X-ray - $98
- Scale/Clean - $120.00 - $220 (depending on the amount of build-up)
- Onlay/Crowns- $980-$1780 (depending on material)
- Kids Extraction -$148
- Extractions - $250 - $700 (dependant on difficulty and whether surgery is required)
- Fillings (white) - $118 - $400
- Root Canal Treatment - $950 - $1400 (excludes the filling on top)
- Home whitening kits - $250 (ongoing special for existing patients)
These are indicative prices only. For a more accurate quote/pricing, a consultation is required.